I have found it is quite difficult to distil what you do as a teacher on a daily basis in a classroom in order to teach students. This is my best effort and I had to think about how I actually cover topics. it is not as simple as following a format because there is something organic and spontaneous about teaching.
I generally cover two topics a term . Within that I teach vocab, grammar and sentence structure.
First things first:
1. Roll – students have 3-5 sentences to write or a simple exercise while I am doing that.
2. Explain what is in the lesson and what it will do for them
3. Teach content simply with slide show
4. Teach content in a more complex way with slide show
5. Use a short video to reinforce content
6. Do some exercises to practice
Follow up lessons:
1. Exercise to practise what we are learning – whiteboard
2. Ideas and examples about how they can improve – whiteboard
3. Look at the technology involved – whiteboard
4. Set the assignment and explain it
5. Examples of what I want them to achieve – whiteboard
6. Include other short videos which reinforce vocabulary ,content and presentation skills
Follow up lessons:
1. iPad apps to reinforce what we are doing
2. One to one help and tuition
3. Group input about how we can improve
4. One to one help and tuition
5. Specific quick exercises to reinforce and further develop content
6. Leave them alone to work
7. Respond to specific requests for help.
8. Negotiate deadline and presentation requirements
A long term assignment which will practise the skills we are learning in class and then I alternate between an oral and written presentation.
I collect it informally along the way but ask them to report back in writing on Twiducate. I generally ask them questions so that the feedback I get is quite specific.
I create a folder with the short and long term assignments relevant to the topic
I collect the slide shows relevant to the topic
I collect the sound files
I make sure I know which parts of the text book/workbook we are doing each lesson.
I collect videos and video links relevant to the topic and make sure I have book marked video links and created a text file with them.
For students without laptops I make the necessary computer room bookings each week according to our needs
I ensure everyone is comfortable with the technology aspect and spend at least 3 lessons on that.
I bookmark sites which will help them learn and get started or further develop their knowledge
I upload tasks and files to LMS or put in network folder.